Dr. Alexander Ovchinnikov
Dr. Ovchinnikov was honored as an outstanding reviewer for Dalton Tranactions.
The essence of Dr. Ovchinnikov’s research is the synthesis of new intermetallic compounds, study of their crystal and electronic structures, and relating those to the experimentally observed physical properties. Compounds of interest include materials with unusual magnetic behavior, for example, magnetically frustrated or low-dimensional magnets, as well as superconducting and thermoelectric materials. Conventional high-temperature annealing, arc melting, and various crystal growth techniques are the primary synthetic tools utilized in his work. Crystal structures are examined using single-crystal and powder diffraction techniques, including measurements at large-scale facilities. Physical properties of intermetallics are interrogated by thermodynamic (magnetic susceptibility, heat capacity) and transport (electrical resistivity, thermal conductivity) measurements. Electronic structures and chemical bonding are analyzed employing first-principle calculations on the density functional theory level.
Publications in peer-reviewed journals:
- Ovchinnikov, A.-V. Mudring. Overlooked binary compounds uncovered in the reinspection of the La−Au system: Synthesis, crystal structures, and electronic properties of La7Au3, La3Au2, and La3Au4. Inorg. Chem. 60 (2021), pp. 12158–12171.
- Baranets,∆ A. Ovchinnikov, ∆ and S. Bobev. Synthesis, crystal and electronic structure of BaLi2Cd2Ge2. Z. Naturforsch. B 76 (2021), pp. 689–697.
- Dopilka, A. Childs, A. Ovchinnikov, R. Zhao, S. Bobev, X. Peng, and C. K. Chan. Structural and electrochemical properties of type VIII Ba8Ga16−δSn30+δ clathrate (δ ≈ 1) during lithiation. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 13 (2021), pp. 42564–42578.
- Ovchinnikov, S. Chanakian, A. Zevalkink, and S. Bobev. Ultra-low thermal conductivity and high thermopower in a new family of Zintl antimonides Ca10MSb9 (M = Ga, In, Mn, and Zn) with complex structures and heavy disorder. Chem. Mater. 33 (2021), pp. 3172–3186 (selected for Supplementary cover).
- Baranets, A. Ovchinnikov, O. Dmitrenko, and S. Bobev. On the structural uniqueness of the [NbAs10]5– cluster in the Zintl phase Cs5NbAs10. J. Phys. Chem. A 125 (2021), pp. 4323–4333.
- Baranets, A. Ovchinnikov, and S. Bobev. Complex structural disorder in the Zintl phases Yb10MnSb9 and Yb21Mn4Sb18. Inorg. Chem. 60 (2021), pp. 6702–6711.
- Dopilka, J. M. Weller, A. Ovchinnikov, A. Childs, S. Bobev, X. Peng, and C. K. Chan. Structural origin of reversible Li insertion in guest‐free, type‐II silicon clathrates. Adv. Energy Sustainability Res. 2021 (2021), 2000114.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Studied and forgotten. A fresh look at the Li–Mn–Ge system. Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 646 (2020), pp. 1–11.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Electronic stabilization by occupational disorder in the ternary bismuthide Li3–x–yInxBi (x ≈ 0.14, y ≈ 0.28). Acta Crystallogr. C76 (2020), 585–590.
- Ovchinnikov, V. Smetana, and A.-V. Mudring. Metallic alloys at the edge of complexity: Structural aspects, chemical bonding and physical properties. J. Phys. Condens. Mater. 32 (2020), 243002.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Exploration of multi-component vanadium and titanium pnictides using flux growth and conventional high-temperature methods. Front. Chem. 7 (2020), 909.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Bismuth as a reactive solvent in the synthesis of multicomponent transition-metal-bearing bismuthides. Inorg. Chem. 59 (2019), pp. 3459–3470.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Multifaceted Sn–Sn bonding in the solid state. Synthesis and structural characterization of four new Ca–Li–Sn compounds. Dalton Trans. 48 (2019), pp. 14398–14407.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Layered quaternary germanides ─ Synthesis, crystal and electronic structures of AELi2In2Ge2 (AE = Sr, Ba, Eu). Inorg. Chem. 58 (2019), pp. 7895–7904.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Data from the electronic band structures of several Zintl phases with group 15 elements and the transition metals. Data in Brief 22 (2019), pp. 446–450.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Zintl phases with group 15 elements and the transition metals: A brief overview of pnictides with diverse and complex structures. J. Solid State Chem. 270 (2019), pp. 346–359.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Synthesis, crystal and electronic structures of the new titanium-rich bismuthides AE3Ti8Bi10 (AE = Sr, Ba, Eu). Inorg. Chem. 58 (2019), pp. 2934–2941 (selected for Front Cover).
- Ovchinnikov, G. M. Darone, B. Saparov, and S. Bobev. Exploratory work in the quaternary system of Ca–Eu–Cd–Sb: Synthesis, crystal, and electronic structures of new Zintl solid solutions. Materials 11 (2018), 2146.
- Ovchinnikov, H. He, and S. Bobev. Crystal structure of the layered arsenide Rb3Cu3As2. Acta Crystallogr. C74 (2018), pp. 1715–1718.
- Desroches, A. Ovchinnikov, and S. Bobev. Crystal chemistry of RE6MgxCd23-xPb (0.62(3) ≤ x ≤ 3.2(1); RE = La and Ce). New mixed-metal derivatives of the RE6Cd23T system (T = group 14/15/16 element). Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 644 (2018), pp. 1734–1740.
- Ovchinnikov, J. P. A. Makongo, and S. Bobev. Yet again, new compounds found in systems with known binary phase diagrams. Synthesis, crystal and electronic structure of Nd3Bi7 and Sm3Bi7. ChemComm 54 (2018), pp. 7089–7092 (highlighted by the online magazine ChemistryViews, https://www.chemistryviews.org/details/news/11064211/Two_Rare-Earth_Bismuthides_Discovered.html, and Department of Energy, Office of Science, https://www.energy.gov/science/bes/articles/found-new-bismuth-compounds-well-known-systems-two-elements).
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Undistorted linear Bi chains with hypervalent bonding in La3TiBi5 from single-crystal X-ray diffraction. Acta Crystallogr. C74 (2018), pp. 618–622.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. On the effect of Ga and In substitutions in the Ca11Bi10 and Yb11Bi10 bismuthides crystallizing in the tetragonal Ho11Ge10 structure type. Acta Crystallogr. C74 (2018), pp. 269–273.
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Synthesis, crystal and electronic structure of the novel titanium bismuthides Sr5Ti12Bi19+x, Ba5Ti12Bi19+x, and Sr5–δEuδTi12Bi19+x (x ≈ 0.5–1.0; δ ≈ 2.4, 4.0). Eur. J. Inorg. Chem. 2018 (2018), pp. 1266–1274.
- Ovchinnikov, M. Bobnar, Yu. Prots, H. Borrmann, J. Sichelschmidt, Yu. Grin, and P. Höhn. Ca12[Mn19N23] and Ca133[Mn216N260]: structural complexity by 2D intergrowth. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 57 (2018), pp. 11579–11583 (highlighted in a press release by the Max Planck Institute for Chemical Physics of Solids (MPI CPfS), https://www.cpfs.mpg.de/2913390/20180625)
- Ovchinnikov, M. Bobnar, Yu. Prots, W. Schnelle, P. Höhn, and Yu. Grin. Ba4[Mn3N6], a quasi-one-dimensional mixed-valent nitridomanganate (II, IV). Crystals 8 (2018), 235 (selected for Cover).
- Ovchinnikov, J. Prakash, and S. Bobev. Crystal chemistry and magnetic properties of the solid solutions Ca14–xRExMnBi11 (RE = La-Nd, Sm, Gd-Ho; x ≈ 0.6–0.8). Dalton Trans. 46 (2017), pp. 16041–16049 (selected for Inside Back Cover).
- Ovchinnikov, B. Saparov, S.-Q. Xia, and S. Bobev. The ternary alkaline-earth metal manganese bismuthides Sr2MnBi2 and Ba2Mn1–xBi2 (x ≈ 0.15). Inorg. Chem. 56 (2017), pp. 12369–12378.
- Pathak, D. Stroiber, M. Bobnar, A. Ovchinnikov, A. Ormeci, R. Niewa, and P. Höhn. Synthesis, characterization, and chemical bonding analysis of the lithium alkaline-earth metal gallide nitrides Li2(Ca3N)2[Ga4] and Li2(Sr3N)2[Ga4]. Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 643 (2017), pp. 1557–1563.
- Jach, S. I. Brückner, A. Ovchinnikov, A. Isaeva, M. Bobnar, M. F. Groh, E. Brunner, P. Höhn, and M. Ruck. The triply deprotonated acetonitrile anion CCN3– stabilized in a solid. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 56 (2017), pp. 2919–2922.
- Roslova, P. Golub, L. Opherden, A. Ovchinnikov, M. Uhlarz, A. Baranov, Yu. Prots, A. Isaeva, M. Coduri, T. Herrmannsdörfer, J. Wosnitza, Th. Doert, and M. Ruck. Synthesis of a Cu-filled Rh17S15 framework: Microwave polyol process versus high-temperature route. Inorg. Chem. 56 (2017), pp. 11513–11523.
- Ovchinnikov and P. Höhn. Crystal structure of pentacalcium tetranitridovanadate (V) mononitride based on a powder diffraction study, Ca5[VN4]N. Z. Kristallogr. – New Cryst. Struct. 231 (2016), pp. 797–798.
- Ovchinnikov, P. Höhn, H. Borrmann, M. Kazancioğlu, and R. Kniep. Crystal structure of pentastrontium bis(dinitridocobaltate(I)), Sr5[CoN2]2, Co2N4Sr5. Z. Kristallogr. – New Cryst. Struct. 230 (2015), pp. 3–4.
- M. Kazakov, A. M. Abakumov, S. Gonzalez, J. M. Perez-Mato, A. V. Ovchinnikov, M. V. Roslova, A. I. Boltalin, I. V. Morozov, E. V. Antipov, and G. Van Tendeloo. Uniform patterns of Fe-vacancy ordering in the Kx(Fe, Co)2–ySe2 superconductors. Chem. Mater. 23 (2011), pp. 4311–4316.
Peer-reviewed conference proceedings
- Dopilka, A. Childs, A. Ovchinnikov, S. Bobev, and C. K. Chan. Understanding the Lithiation Pathways of Tetrel Clathrates with Synchrotron X-Ray Characterization. ECS Meet. Abstr., MA2020-02 (2020), 168.
- Ovchinnikov, M. Bobnar, Yu. Prots, H. Borrmann, J. Sichelschmidt, Yu. Grin, and P. Höhn. Layered alkaline-earth metal nitridomanganates: Synthesis, crystal structures, and physical properties. Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 642 (2016), p. 1017.
- Jach, S. I. Brückner, A. Ovchinnikov, M. Bobnar, A. Isaeva, M. Groh, E. Brunner, P. Höhn, and M. Ruck. The acetonitrilide anion CCN3–. Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 642 (2016), p. 1004.
- Ovchinnikov, W. Schnelle, Yu. Grin, and P. Höhn. Ba4Mn3N6 – a new nitridomanganate with a one-dimensional anionic framework. Z. Anorg. Allg. Chem. 640 (2014), p. 2360.
- V. Kolesnik, G. S. Chebotaeva, A. V. Ovchinnikov, A. A. Chernik, A. A. Eliseev, A. V. Lukashin, and Yu. D. Tret’yakov. Mesoporous titanium oxide and nanocomposites based on it for catalytic applications. Proceedings NANO-2009 (2009), Ekaterinburg, Russia, p. 334.
- Baranets,∆ A. Ovchinnikov, ∆ and S. Bobev. Structural diversity of the Zintl pnictides with rare-earth metals, in Handbook on the Physics and Chemistry of Rare Earths, vol. 60, ed. by J.-C. G. Bünzli and V. K. Pecharsky. Elsevier, 2021.
Patents and licenses
- I. Boltalin, I.V. Morozov, S.M. Kazakov, A.V. Shevelkov, A.V. Ovchinnikov, M.V. Roslova, V.B. Son. Reactor for solid-state synthesis of alkali-metal-containing superconductors. Patent number: RU113876-U1.
Contributions to conferences
- Ovchinnikov, S. Siebeneichler, D. Sheptyakov, A.-V. Mudring. Geometric frustration on a square lattice in the new gold-containing intermetallic phase LaMn2–xAu4+x. International Conference on Solid Compounds of Transition Elements, April 2021, Wrocław, Poland (oral).
- Ovchinnikov and A.-V. Mudring. Exploratory studies in the RE–Mn–Au systems (RE = rare-earth metal). European Conference on Solid State Chemistry, September 2019, Lille, France (poster).
- Ovchinnikov and A.-V. Mudring. Exploratory studies in the RE–Mn–Au systems (RE = rare-earth metal). Terrae Rarae, May–June 2019, Stockholm, Sweden / Helsinki, Finland (oral).
- Ovchinnikov, B. Saparov, S.-Q. Xia, and S. Bobev. Ternary alkaline-earth metal manganese bismuthides. Gordon Research Conference on Solid State Chemistry, July 2018, New London, NH, USA (poster).
- Ovchinnikov and S. Bobev. Rich crystal chemistry in multinary titanium bismuthides. Gordon Research Conference on Solid State Chemistry, July 2018, New London, NH, USA (poster).
- Ovchinnikov, B. Saparov, S.-Q. Xia, and S. Bobev. Ternary alkaline-earth metal manganese bismuthides. North American Solid State Chemistry Conference, August 2017, Santa Barbara, CA, USA (oral).
- Ovchinnikov, M. Bobnar, Yu. Prots, H. Borrmann, J. Sichelschmidt, Yu. Grin, and P. Höhn. Layered alkaline-earth metal nitridomanganates: Synthesis, crystal structures, and physical properties. Meeting of the German Chemical Society, September 2016, Innsbruck, Austria (oral).
- Ovchinnikov, M. Bobnar, H. Borrmann, Y. Prots, W. Schnelle, J. Sichelschmidt, A. Ormeci, Yu. Grin, P. Höhn. Extended nitridometalate structures in ternary manganese nitrides. International Conference on Solid Compounds of Transition Elements, April 2016, Zaragoza, Spain (oral).
- Ovchinnikov, W. Schnelle, M. Bobnar, H. Borrmann, J. Sichelschmidt, Yu. Grin, P. Höhn. Extended anionic frameworks in the AE–Mn–N systems. Synthesis, structure and physical properties of new nitridomanganates. European Conference on Solid State Chemistry, August 2015, Vienna, Austria (poster).
- Ovchinnikov, W. Schnelle, Yu. Grin, P. Höhn. Ba4Mn3N6 – a new nitridomanganate with a one-dimensional anionic framework. Meeting of the German Chemical Society, September 2014, Dresden, Germany (poster).
- Ovchinnikov, R. Kniep, Yu. Grin, P. Höhn. Ba4Mn3N6, a novel nitridomanganate with [MnN4/2]∞8/3- chains. International Conference on Solid Compounds of Transition Elements, June 2014, Genoa, Italy (poster).
- Ovchinnikov. Dimensionality of anionic frameworks in nitridometalates: The case of Mn. Baltic Boat Conference 2014, June 2014, Stockholm, Sweden / Riga, Latvia (oral).